Sunday, November 27, 2011

Hours: Complete!

     Over break I had the opportunity to complete my service hours!  I was really excited to finally have my English class service hours done but that doesn't mean that I will stop volunteering at Bridgepointe.  I've been volunteering there since my junior year of high school and I really don't see myself stopping.  Although I probably won't be there as much now that I've completed my required service hours, I will most certainly still make my way over there to volunteer for a few hours here and there when I visit home again. The hours over break were a little tiring, however.  I had to go in for at least four hours every day and that got a little annoying considering I was on Thanksgiving break, but it was worth it to be able to say that I'm finally finished with them and I don't have to worry about going back home between now and finals.
     While I was completing my hours I decided to show some of the employees at Bridgepointe the digital poster that I made for our assignment.  At first I kind of regretted even mentioning the fact that I made one because I didn't want them to think that I did a really bad job on it.  I for one thought the poster was really bad, I spent hours trying to figure out the Aviary program to no avail.  Some of the tools really frustrated me to no end.  But they loved it!  They did admit that they could tell it was obviously not professional (which I was not offended by at all) but they said it was really cute that I've spent so much time doing stuff for Bridgepointe and they really appreciated it.  I was glad to hear that considering all the hard work that I have done for this class and in turn for them.  I do feel like it was all worth it though! And I'm sure when I go home for Christmas break I'll end up volunteering a little bit then too.

3 comments:

  1. I know what a great feeling it is to finally have your hours done. It feels like you’ve just finished a giant project and now you can just relax and let the class wind down. Unfortunately, I know other classes aren’t as easygoing as this one is. It’s wonderful that you are going to continue working with your organization. It’s always nice to find someplace that you enjoy to spend your time and effort for nothing but gratitude and a good feeling. I also told my community service partner that I would be in touch and I would love to help them with future projects they may need. I think the work they do is amazing.

    I think it’s funny that you showed them your poster. I would never show them mine. I thought mine was terrible but kudos to you for being brave/proud enough to do it. Enjoy the rest of your semester and I hope you continue to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Got those hours done! So did I! Just in time for final project and exams!It's also very refreshing to hear that you are going back to volunteer there even after this class is over. This just shows how rewarding service can be when you do it on your own time and in a program where you can work directly with people. I wish I could go back to L.A.R.A and help teach, but sadly next semester is full and I won't be able to fit in some time.
    Double kudos to you for showing your poster. I would have to agree with Cheslie in the fact that I would not be able to show mine. I just wasn't blessed with an artistic eye so my poster came out kind of dull and uninteresting, but hopefully it was good enough to get me an A on the assignment. Well good luck to you in all you endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is awesome that you were able to finish up your hours! I will be polishing mine off tomorrow. Way to go and keep going back too. That is really cool of you. I know exactly what you mean about having to do thing over break. We’re on break for Pete’s sake! Oh well. Aviary was challenging. I wound up only using it to tweak a couple of images and did most of my paper in power point… It is cool that they were able to appreciate it! I love it when other people like what I do, so I can only imagine being pleasantly surprised that others liked something you worked so hard on.

    I am having a little bit of trouble relating to you all though concerning showing your poster to your service organization because I made a very generic one that is about service as a way of life, not specifically at the veterans’ Home, so I’m trying to think what it would be like to have to show them my work if it did actually have to do with them… oh well.

    ReplyDelete