Saturday, November 12, 2011

Some More Service

So last weekend I went home to complete some more service work so that I can fulfill the thirty hours required by the deadline.  This weekend was a really interesting experience because I dedicated my entire Saturday to service work.  It was a very busy day.  I arrived around 9 am and I got started right away.  I was doing some boring stuff for a couple hours so it really wasn't that interesting.  But around noon was activities and snack time so I went with one of the nurses to pass out snacks to some of the residents who were participating in activities that day.  Residents can choose from a variety of activities every Saturday afternoon.  The facility tries to accommodate every resident so that they can find something that suits their interests.  I found it really interesting to see which activities which residents were participating in because I never would have guessed that some of them were interested in certain things by just knowing them.
There were all kinds of different activities that the residents could participate in.  Some of them sat in the main dining room and played board games.  Some of them got manicures and pedicures and their hair done by the employees.  And some of them played the Wii.  This was by far my favorite because they were playing the game "Just Dance" and some of them were playing in their wheelchairs.  It was so nice to see how much fun they were having and I couldn't resist stopping to play with them for a little bit.  The residents always enjoy having young people around to talk to and interact with so I was happy to jump in and provide some fun for them and for myself.  Needless to say, my service this weekend went really well.

1 comment:

  1. I had a weekend that I dedicated a whole day to service. I was a lot of work, but after you start it seems to become more of a grind. As you complete tasks you immediately get ready for the next one. It works really well for getting a lot done in that time. I could honestly say that I was exhausted at the end, but it felt good to know that I had gotten a lot of work done for my service organization. They seemed to appreciate it a lot too. My supervisor was appreciative that I gave up a whole day just to help them out, and another worker thought I was crazy for going back there after I had left for college but I could they still appreciated it. I’m hoping I get a chance to work there again before the semester is over. It is hard having one of your service organizations so far away.

    ReplyDelete